Baruch Hashem

Please print these Stories before Shabbos, so you can read them on Shabbos!


Miracles Happen

A baby smiles. A flower blossoms. A terminal patient recovers.

They may not have quite the same cachet as an underdog army emerging victorious or a tiny can of oil lasting eight days, but as the Jewish holiday of miracles opens this week, Jews around the globe will not only recount the ancient Chanukah miracles but the miraculous events in their own lives.

In the dark winter night, they will begin their celebration by kindling the first Chanukah candle and reciting three blessings.

The first blessing honors G‑d as ruler of time and space and gives thanks for the commandment to light the Chanukah candles.

As Isaac Mozeson's family gathers around the menorah and chants this blessing, Mozeson will remember his own struggle with darkness and light after he fell into a five-day coma in 1997.

He had been hiking in Israel's Galilee, unaware of weather forecasts warning of record heat in that the normally cool region. After three hours of hiking, the trail marks disappeared and he decided to press on in search of a village rather than retrace his steps, fearing it would take too long. His water supply was already gone.

Instead, he climbed up the steep mountainside, searching for help. It was an arduous climb, particularly because of the scorching sun. When he reached the top of the mountain, he saw nothing but vast fields. "I felt fatigue that felt like death," he said. "I felt all the programming systems in my head humming to a close." He lay down in a tiny patch of shade to rest and fell into a coma.

A Beduin tracker found his body and brought him to the hospital. Mozeson had suffered an intense heat stroke that shut down all his organs except for his heart and sent him into a coma. Doctors gave up on his near-dead body. They suggested that his two children say goodbye to him.

But prayers were offered up by his friends, relatives and even strangers who heard his story. "Many people in Israel and in worldwide prayer groups who heard about it on the internet were praying for me," he said. "My name was changed to Rephael ('the L-rd heals') in my Teaneck synagogue."

When he opened his eyes five days later, he could barely move. Ever so slowly, he learned to walk and even run, but even now has slow motor skills. He can only speak, type and write very slowly and with great difficulty. He cannot resume his career as a college instructor and book editor.

He spends his days working on a project he had always talked about doing after he retired — writing a series of books on universal faith and language. "I am joyous to be alive," he said.

As he chants the blessing over the Chanukah light this evening, and the candles shine through his front window into the dark night, he said, "I will think about how my own candle flickered and almost went out and how I was almost not here at the family menorah lighting."

The second Chanukah blessing is for the miracles G‑d performed in days of old and in modern times, a blessing that resonates keenly for Sharon and Steven Tuch of Teaneck.

Two years ago, Sharon gave birth to identical twins, Matthew and Brian. Three weeks later, the doctors informed her that both boys had leukemia. Within a week, Matthew passed away.

Brian underwent numerous surgeries, a bone marrow transplant, a bleed in his brain and still suffered a relapse.

Yet, his mother said incredulously, "He pulled through. It was amazing."

There were times when his parents and siblings thought he would not make it. Sharon kept a constant vigil at his hospital bedside, grateful all the while for the volunteer babysitters, cooked dinners, and donated platelets that materialized as the Tuch's needs intensified.

"Last year at this time he was on his deathbed and now, he's learning how to walk. He says 'Mama.' He smiles all the time. Looking at him, you would never believe what he's been through," she said. "He is delayed but he's all there."

When she was going through that turbulent time, Sharon never considered that what her family was experiencing was a miracle. "But now, I can sit back and think about what he has overcome."

As the Tuch family lights their candles tonight, they will sing the second blessing with a special feeling. After the Chanukah candles are lit, they will sing a hearty Happy Birthday to Brian. It will be two years, to the day, that he was born.

The third blessing over the candles is the Shehecheyanu, thanking G‑d for bringing Jews to a new season. It is recited only on the first of Chanukah's eight nights, just as it said on the first night of most Jewish holidays.

This year, Rivkah Kanter of Tenafly will be saying the Shehecheyanu with extra fervor.

Kanter, a former elementary school teacher, was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1986. Within a year, the cancer had spread to her sternum and, more recently, to her spine, skull and liver. Doctors told her she had little chance of survival.

But she continued to feel healthy, she said, and tests as recently as a month and a half ago, revealed that the tumors in her skull and spine have disappeared and all but three of the tumors in her liver are gone.

"The doctor was so shocked I had to pick him up off the floor. He said he's never seen anything like that happen before.

"It's incredible," she said. "My rabbi and friends think I'm a walking miracle."

So does she. She feels energetic enough to travel around the world, take Torah classes and walk vigorously 45 minutes every day. "I am going on with my life," she said.

As she recites the third blessing, the miracle of her daily existence will be foremost in her mind.

"I will be thinking," she said, "of my gratitude to G‑d for bringing me to this season."

The Game

Chassidic master Rabbi Menachem Nachum of Stepinesht once observed his students playing checkers on Chanukah. "Can you tell me the rules of the game?" he asked. When none of the students spoke up, the Rebbe answered his own question:

"There are three basic rules. 1) Don't go backwards, 2) don't take two steps at one time, and 3) when you reach the top you have the power to go anywhere.

"Remember: these 'rules of the game' are for the rest of your lives!"

This Money Isn't for Me
Yhoshua Benyamin was a poor Chassid, what made matters even worse was  that he had seven mouths to feed and no way to feed them. He usually took any odd job he could  find but times had been very slow and for the last few years his debts just kept  growing.

The grocery store owner just gave his tenth and last warning that  Yhoshua could forget about getting any more food on credit. 

Then he got a final notice from the landowner that he wanted all his  back rent or else Yhoshua and his family would be evicted. And shortly  thereafter the young man that had been teaching his children Torah announced that if he  didn’t get his back pay he was quitting.

And then came the fire.

No one knows exactly how it started but, unlike Yhoshua and his  family …… the fire had plenty to eat. The houses were one hundred percent wood  and the fire jumped ravenously from one to the other leaving some twenty  families homeless. Yhoshua's house  hadn't been burnt much but his furniture had been wrecked and the suffering of  all his friends didn't improve his spirits.

He prayed to G‑d for a miracle… only a miracle would save him! And he  was G‑d surely wouldn't let him down.

And the miracle happened!!

Sort of.

It was Friday just an hour before the Shabbat. He was walking slowly  home from another day of fruitless job searching when he noticed a wallet on the  ground in the mud off the side of the road. He bent down, picked it up and … there  was no identification. Only a bunch  of papers and… three hundred rubles!!  G‑d had answered his prayers!!!

The money would save him! He could pay his debts and have money left  over! Three hundred rubles was a fortune. It was a miracle!! Then suddenly he  stopped.

"What am I thinking of? Have I gone insane?" He thought to himself.  "Why, this is someone's wallet! How could I take the money? It's a commandment..  a Mitzva, to return lost items!"

But then he thought again. "One minute! If I don't take the money  someone else will. The owner probably gave up on it anyway. And, well, I can  just take the money and throw the wallet back on the ground.

After all, the  money was as good as gone! Or maybe I'll just USE the money and then announce  that I found and empty wallet and then LATER I'll give it back." 

Yhoshua was confused and his poverty already had made him half  insane. It was very difficult for him to think up reasons for not TAKING THE MONEY THAT G-D PUT IN HIS  HANDS!!

He decided to hide the wallet in his home and decide after Shabbat. 

He arrived in the Synagogue confused and worried, now there was a  third factor involved; besides his debts and the wallet, in just a few minutes  would be Shabbat and on Shabbat it is forbidden to worry.

But as troubled as he was he couldn't help notice one of the  wealthier townspeople, Reb Pinchus Leb, sitting near the corner also trying  unsuccessfully not to be sad. 

He walked over and asked what was wrong.

At first rab Pinchus, who was usually a good natured and  non-talkative person, just tried to shrug it off and deny it but for some reason  Yhoshua insisted that he should tell him what it is that's bothering him. 

"Ahhh! I'll tell you the truth" Said Pinchas Leb with a  heart-breaking sigh. "My house was severely damaged by the fire but that was the  hand of G‑d and I accept it.
What I can't get over is my wallet. It had a lot of money but most  important were the papers! It had valuable documents that are worth a  fortune. I saved them from the fire  but somehow I lost it all! And,  well, I know it's going to be Shabbat but… well… I just can't stop blaming myself for  it."

"Don't worry!" Yhoshua  put his hands on Pinchas' shoulders, looked him in the eyes, smiled and  exclaimed. "I found your wallet!! It's in my house. I found it before Shabbat!" 

PInchas Leb couldn't believe his ears. He hugged Yhoshua in joy, gave  him a big kiss on his cheek and thanked him over and over again about twenty  times.

Immediately after Shabbat when Reb Pinchas went to Yhoshua's house  and saw his wallet he was so happy that he gave him the three hundred rubles as  a reward. But Yhoshua refused!

He decided that the mitzvah itself was enough of a reward. He didn't  want the money. And all the pleading and arguing of Reb Pinchas didn't  help. Yhoshua was now really  certain that there would be a miracle. But it didn't happen.

And his children were  hungry. Suddenly he remembered; the Rebbe!  He would travel to the Rebbe (The Rebbe 'Resha'b; Shalom Dovber the fifth  Rebbe of Lubavitch) for a blessing or at least for advice. Why hadn't he thought of it earlier! 

Two days later he was in Lubavitch, standing before the Rebbe pouring  out his heart about his troubles with the food market, his landlord and the  tutor. But the Rebbe seemed to ignore all this and asked him if anything good  happened recently.

Yhoshua was dumbfounded, he couldn't figure what the Rebbe meant..  something good? Suddenly he remembered the wallet.

"Very good." Said the Rebbe. " So there is nothing to worry about! In  the merit of returning that lost item you will be repaid ten-fold!. Meanwhile,  if you are offered a job of being a Cantor take it."

He thanked the Rebbe profusely and backed out of his room. But when  he was alone with himself he thought, "Cantor? Why, I'm no cantor! I've never  been a cantor in my life. Who would want me as a cantor?"

But sure enough, two days later, when he arrived back home, a  carriage was waiting in front of his house and out of it stepped two honorable  looking Jews who wasted no time in asking him to be the cantor in their town for  Rosh HaShanna! They even offered him an advance of ten rubles (about two months  wages).

His automatic urge was  to refuse; he had a nice voice but he had never been a cantor and he had so many  problems. Then he remembered the Rebbe's words.

He practiced seriously before the holidays and, sure enough when the  time arrived his troubles and broken heart ironically proved to be his biggest  asset and the crowd, who had enough troubles of their own, was moved by the  simple sincerity of his prayers. They even invited him back for Yom Kippur with  a raise in salary… paid in advance.

After Yom Kippur the president of the synagogue thanked him profusely  and even gave him a bonus but added an apology. He was not able to find a carriage  to take him back to his home. All of them had been hired by travelers. He gave  Yhoshua more money and, with more apologies, asked him to please try to search  on his own.

The next morning Yhoshua understood how bad the situation really was;  literally every carriage was gone. But someone suggested an old man that had  once been a carriage driver and might be willing, for the right price, to take  the job.

Yhoshua headed for the old man's hut on the outskirts of the town but  when he got there and opened the door he realized that it was a dead end. The  man, who must have been well over eighty, was laying sick in bed and was totally  blind!

But just as he was about to turn and leave the old man called  out.

"Ehhh? Is that you Yorik?! Did you call the priest? Is he coming? I  don't think I'll last much longer."

Yhoshua realized that the old fellow must think that he is someone  else so to calm him down he answered. "Yes yes, the priest is coming." 

"You know, Yorik." The old man wheezed and half whispered. "You know  I have no children. But I have some money and I want you to have it. Won't help  me where I'm going. It's buried in the back yard here under the large brown  rock. I stole it from a Jew. Heh heh! One of my passengers over twenty years  ago. Go and take it, I only used some of it. As far as I know the Jew isn't even  alive any more. Heh heh!"

Yhoshua left the old man, ran outside into the yard, pushed over the  rock and sure enough, there was the old wallet.

He put it in his pocket it and, afraid that Yorik would return any  moment, ran back to the town as fast as his legs would carry him. And behold…  There was an available carriage! He gave the driver a good price and in a day's  time was back home.

He told the entire story to his wife produced the wallet and together  they opened it. It was filled with notes! Packed!! And they were all large  denominations. They eagerly counted it and found…. Exactly three thousand  rubles!!

Suddenly he realized what the Rebbe meant that he will be repaid  ten-fold! It was ten times the three hundred he returned to Reb Pinchas! All of Yhoshua's financial worries were  gone forever!

Why Worry?

Yankela Goldman wasn’t worried, he never really worried. Even yesterday when he received his draft notice from the Russian People’s Army he told himself “This obviously is for the best”. Usually such news brought fear and confusion into the heart of any Jew that received it, but Yankela was different. “Think good and it will be good,” he said to himself. Since he heard that the Rebbe had once said it, it became his life motto. “Think good and it will be good”.

But his parents had a hard time being so optimistic. His mother was weeping. “This is very serious” his father said, “We must go to the Rebbe immediately, but weeping won’t help” he tried to calm his wife. The next morning his father had arranged an urgent meeting for Yankela with the Rebbe RaShaB (Shalom Dov Ber). The Rebbe had many ways to save Jews. Even from the anti-semitic Communist army, or worse.

But the family was very anxious, what would the Rebbe’s advice be? Perhaps he would just give a blessing? That would be best of all, then the army would completely forget about him. It happened before. But they couldn’t stop thinking of Sholmi Greenspan, and Avraham Farber and Zalman whats-his-name that got killed there and this one that went mad and this one that etc. etc. In other words they were going crazy with worry.

At one o’clock their Yankela returned all smiles. “Good news!” he announced, “The Rebbe told me what to do!” “Nu! What did he say??” cried his wide-eyed mother and father in unison. “He told me to go to the draft board in Petersburg,” sang Yankela.

His parents were frozen with disbelief. “No! NO! You must have misunderstood, Yankela,” his father whispered. His mother began weeping again.

The Petersburg Draft Board was infamous for its anti-Semitic cruelty. All Jews were drafted, even genuine cripples and imbeciles, absolutely no excuses were accepted. It was the WORST draft board of them all. “I can get it changed,” said his father. “Don’t worry it will be alright I have friends, contacts, you must have misunderstood the Rebbe.” But Yankela was happily adamant. He paid no attention to all the pessimism. He applied for a change in venue and in a few days his request was granted; he had to appear in one week, on Shabbos no less, in the despised Petersburg draft board.

He arrived in Petersburg on Friday morning and headed straight for the house of another Chabad Chassid who was more than overjoyed to have him as a guest. That night after the Shabbos prayers and the meal Yankela got a good sleep. He had to wake up early it was a three-hour walk to the Board and it closed at one o’clock sharp.

The next morning he rose before dawn and began to pray, but his host also woke, saw what he was doing and chastised him. “What are you doing?! How can you pray without learning Torah first? Maybe you go and I’ll pray for you if you are in such a hurry?” He said cynically.

Yankela tried to explain himself but he knew the man was right. Prayer is supposed to be emotional, each word an expression of love or awe or thanks to G‑d, not just saying the words. “Good!” said his host, “We’ll learn for a while, and then we’ll pray like Jews, and THEN we’ll go. Don’t worry! I know a shortcut. With G‑d’s help everything will be all right.”

Well, as you can probably imagine the learning took a bit longer than they had planned, as did the prayers and the meal. In fact the next time they looked at the clock it was … eleven o’clock! “Gevalt!” they both cried out. “Don’t worry!” his host reassured him, “I know a shortcut. But we better get going, it’s a lot later than I thought”

They ran as fast as they could, through back yards and empty fields and railroad yards until, sure enough, they made it, ten minutes before closing!! They pushed open the huge, thick, tall wooden doors and slipped into the immense silent room. It struck them that something was wrong; everything was too quiet. Twenty pairs of eyes were sending them messages of death and destruction.

Around the room, evenly spaced against the walls were about twenty huge desks each stacked with very important looking papers, and behind each sat an official staring with cold hatred at the two intruders. It was five minutes before closing time, everyone wanted to go home, and now they may have to remain even hours! And for these despicable Jews!!!!! After a minute of astonished, pregnant silence they suddenly all stood and ran toward the odious aliens screaming, shaking their fists and even spitting at them.

But to no avail, the law stated clearly that they must be processed. One of the officials motioned for the others to go off to a side, and after a minute of consultation all shook their heads in agreement. Each returned to his table, while one went over to Yankela, grabbed him by the collar of his overcoat and almost lifted him over to the first table. Without even looking up, the secretary produced Yankela’s induction papers, turned to one of the pages, took a huge stamp from his desk, mashed it into his inkpad, lifted it high in the air and sent it crashing on the page: ‘UNFIT’! Yankela again felt himself yanked by the collar and moved to the second table where the short ceremony was repeated, this time on another page: ‘UNFIT’! Then to the third: ‘UNFIT’! Until ten minutes later each page of his portfolio was stamped and on the cover in large black letters stamped ‘DISQUALIFIED’.

He was then rushed back to the door where his amazed host was standing, they were both unceremoniously thrown into the street and the doors were locked behind them.

“You see, it’s a good thing you didn’t worry,” said his host as they were standing up and brushing themselves off, “If it would have been any other draft board, or if you would have come earlier they would have drafted you for sure.

It Should Again See Light

Several years ago, a physician from southern France contacted me. His granddaughter had taken ill with a disease that baffled the physicians there. He called after reading several of my articles on disorders of the autonomic nervous system. His granddaughter's symptoms seemed to match those I had described, and he asked me if I could help. I readily agreed, and for many months, I collaborated with the child's French physicians by telephone and by fax, directing their diagnostic testing. At last we came to a diagnosis, and I prescribed a course of therapy. During the next several weeks, the child made a seemingly miraculous recovery. Her grandparents expressed their heartfelt thanks and told me to let them know should I ever come to France.

In the summer of 1996, I was invited to speak at a large international scientific meeting that was held in Nice, France. I sent word to the physician I had helped years before. Upon my arrival at the hotel, I received a message to contact him. I called him, and we arranged a night to meet for dinner.

On the appointed day we met and then drove north to his home in the beautiful southern French countryside. It was humbling to learn his home was older than the United States. During the drive he told me that his wife had metastatic breast cancer and was not well, but she insisted upon meeting me. When introduced to her, I saw that despite her severe illness, she was still a beautiful woman with a noble bearing.

After dinner, we sat in a 17th-century salon, sipping cognac and chatting. Our conversation must have seemed odd to the young man and woman who served us because it came out in a free-flowing mixture of English, French, and Spanish.

After a time the woman asked, "My husband tells me you are Jewish, no?" "Yes," I said, "I am a Jew." They asked me to tell them about Judaism, especially the holidays. I did my best to explain and was astounded by how little they knew of Judaism. She seemed to be particularly interested in Chanukah. Once I had finished answering her questions, she suddenly looked me in the eye and said, "I have something I want to give to you."

She disappeared and returned several moments later with a package wrapped in cloth. She sat, her tired eyes looking into mine, and she began to speak slowly.

"When I was a little girl of 8 years, during the Second World War, the authorities came to our village to round up all the Jews. My best friend at that time was a girl of my age named Jeanette. One morning when I came to play, I saw her family being forced at gunpoint into a truck. I ran home and told my mother what had happened and asked where Jeanette was going. 'Don't worry,' she said, 'Jeanette will be back soon.'

"I ran back to Jeanette's house only to find that she was gone and that the other villagers were looting her home of valuables, except for the Judaic items, which were thrown into the street. As I approached, I saw an item from her house lying in the dirt. I picked it up and recognized it as an object that Jeanette and her family would light around Christmas time. In my little girl's mind I said 'I will take this home and keep it for Jeanette, till she comes back,' but she and her family never returned."

She paused and took a slow sip of brandy. "Since that time I have kept it. I hid it from my parents and didn't tell a soul of its existence. Indeed, over the last 50 years the only person who knew of it was my husband. When I found out what really happened to the Jews, and how many of the people I knew had collaborated with the Nazis, I could not bear to look at it. Yet I kept it, hidden, waiting for something, although I wasn't sure what. Now I know what I was waiting for. It was for you, a Jew, who helped cure our granddaughter, and it is to you I entrust this."

Her trembling hands set the package on my lap. I slowly unwrapped the cloth from around it. Inside was a menorah, but one unlike any I had seen before. Made of solid brass, it had eight cups for holding oil and wicks and a ninth cup centered above the others. It had a ring attached to the top, and the woman mentioned that she remembered that Jeanette's family would hang it in the hallway of their home.

It looked quite old to me; later, several people told me that it is probably at least 100 years old. As I held it and thought about what it represented, I began to cry. All I could manage to say was a garbled "merci." As I left, her last words to me were Il faudra voir la lumiere encore une fois — "it should once again see light."

I later learned that she died less than a month after our meeting. This Chanukah, the menorah will once again see light. And as I and my family light it, we will say a special prayer in honor of those whose memories it represents. We will not let its lights go out again.

The Wedding
Once there lived a wealthy Jewish forester named Yosef. Yosef was very kind and generous. He understood that G‑d had blessed him with great wealth so that he could help others, and he was always ready to give to the poor. Not only did he give them money, he gave them jobs. He was happy that by giving employment to his fellow Jews, he could enable them to support their families. 

As Yosef's wealth increased, so did his charitable deeds. One day, a
group of Jews from a nearby village came to see him. "We've come to ask you to help a needy bride and groom," said one of the group, Yonah the shoemaker. "They are both orphans, and there is no one to help them. They're getting married on Chanuka, and they haven't any money."

"How much money do you need?" asked Yosef.

"One thousand rubles should be enough," said Yonah.

Yosef went to his desk and took out a packet of money. He counted out a thousand rubles, and handed it to Yonah with a smile. The villagers were stunned. They thought that Yosef would give part of the amount, and expected to collect the rest from others. They could not thank Yosef enough.

As they left, Yosef said, "Remember to invite me to the wedding. I want to participate in the great mitzva of rejoicing with the bride and

Some weeks later, Yosef travelled to Danzig where he had to collect
payment from a number of his customers. He expected to be away for at least three weeks and told his family regretfully that he did not think he would be home in time to kindle the menora with them on the first night of Chanuka.

Yosef's stay in Danzig was blessed with success. Not only did he collect over 40,000 rubles, he signed on many new customers. He finished up his business more quickly than expected and was delighted that he would be able to surprise his family and arrive home in time to light the first Chanuka candle.

Yosef purchased a ticket for the train ride home and entered a car that was not too crowded. He sat down, closed his eyes and dozed off. Suddenly, he heard voices whispering next to him. Opening his eyes, he saw two men sitting across from him, eying him suspiciously.

Yosef's heart skipped a beat as he thought, "They are planning to rob
me!" Yosef quickly got up. He went from one car to the next, until he
came to a car that was packed with people. He looked for an empty place, and sat down.

"Thank G‑d, I managed to escape from those men just in time!" he said to himself. The car was crowded with farmers and peasants. Yosef felt much safer surrounded by people.

The train sped on its journey. Gradually it grew dark outside and all
the passengers fell asleep, except for the wary Yosef. Suddenly, he
noticed the two strangers standing at the doorway of the car. Yosef
opened his bag and took out the gun that he always carried. He made sure the men could see that he had it. The men quickly disappeared. Yosef realized his suspicions were right.

For the remainder of the trip, Yosef stayed alert. He prayed to G‑d to
protect him, pledging to give charity even more generously when he
returned home safely. When Yosef got off the train, he went over to a policeman, handed him several rubles, and asked him to escort him home.

When he finally arrived at home, Yosef breathed a sigh of relief. But no one was home. He realized that his family and servants were all still in the city as they had not expected him to arrive until later in the week. "What a shame," Yosef thought to himself as he began preparing the oil and wicks of the menora for the first night of Chanuka, "after all my efforts to get here, I am still alone."

Yosef placed the 40,000 rubles in his safe. Then he retraced his steps back to the family's silver menora, recited the blessings with much joy and watched the first light of Chanuka dance with delight.

All was still in the house. Yosef sat by the candles for a while, and
then took out a book and began to study. The stillness was shattered by the sound of splintering wood. Yosef jumped up and saw his two "travel companions" from the train bursting though the front door.

Brandishing guns, the thieves demanded that Yosef open up his safe and empty it out for them. They then tied him up with heavy rope and threw him on the ground. Yosef prayed to G‑d, knowing that his life was in grave danger.

Suddenly, sounds of voices and musical instruments could be heard from outside. The music kept getting closer and louder. The thieves turned pale, and began looking for a way to escape, but it was too late. 

From outside they heard happy shouts. "Reb Yosef. Open up. We've come to bring you to the wedding." The villagers marched through the open door.They saw Reb Yosef lying tied up on the floor and then they saw thethieves. They pounced on the villains, and easily overpowered them. 

Yonah the shoemaker untied Reb Yosef. "We came to bring you to the
wedding, as you asked," he said. "And look at this!"

"You saved my life!" Yosef exclaimed. "They would have killed me!"

"Surely your mitzvot of endowering a bride, looking after orphans, and
the desire to rejoice at a wedding saved you," said Yonah.

The villagers escorted Reb Yosef to the wedding with much joy. As Yosefwatched the happy dancing, he thanked G‑d for all the miracles, thewonders and the salvation that had just occurred for him